Wednesday 1 January 2020

Nik Kershaw: "Wide Boy"


"What he's trying to say is that his critics think he's stupid but, because he's got so much success, it doesn't bother him."
— Marshall O'Leary

Paul is a Chickadee reader (aged 7) who lives in the neighbourhood of Beddington in the north part of Calgary. He wavers between Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" and New Edition's "Mr. Telephone Man" as his favourite song of all time. He doesn't have much to say about pop music as you can see below.

I'm sorry, I don't know who he is. Why doesn't he spell his name with a 'c'? It looks dumb spelled 'n-i-k'.

I asked some people around me what they thought of this song. Here's what they said:

My sister Julie liked it but she stopped caring when I told her who it was. She only likes Culture Club. Did you know that she was Boy George for Halloween? And that she was Boy George in her class air band show? Everybody looked at Julie because she was Boy George. No one knew who Sting was and no one knew who Phil Collins was and all those other people in Band Aid. I was proud of her.

Mummy only likes Paul Young now. She asked me to turn this down right away.

Daddy said "no thanks". He was watching a hockey game and didn't want to be disturbed.

My friend Kevin said it's not as good as Howard Jones who he likes a lot but I don't like Howard Jones because of his stupid hair and dumb songs. Maybe I should like Nik Kershaw if Kevin dislikes him.

Craig down the street never gave me back the Archie comic he borrowed so I didn't want to give him a copy. I asked him to come over to hear it but he wants to play street hockey at the Green instead. I want to play too so I should finish this soon.

Ethan at school was too busy sucking on cigarette butts from a flower bed in front of Highwood and didn't want to hear it. I think he hates music and he will probably be a lawyer or a doctor or something when he grows up.

Karim kind of likes it. He wasn't humming it at the bus stop or anything but he got his daddy to buy him the Nik Kershaw tape. Karim said he'd lend it to me and I gave him back his Return of the Jedi book so he won't mind lending it to me.

Paul B likes it a lot but then he bit me on the arm when I asked him why he likes it. Why am I still friends with him?

Do you want to know what I think? Well, it's okay. I think that Marshall is wrong about the meaning of "Wide Boy". I think it's about fat guys thinking they're really important. Grandpa Roy is fat and he thinks he's important. He sells houses. He doesn't care if people think he's fat. People laugh at fat guys but I think they don't care and they feel more important for being fat. I wonder if Nik Kershaw doesn't like fat guys. Ethan said that he doesn't like fat people but I can't say that because Grandpa Roy is fat and so is Louise who is friends with Mummy and Daddy. I think fat people are fine. And the song is nice but maybe he should be nicer to fat people. (By the way, hello to: Michael B, Michelle and Angie, Wesant and Mike from swimming lessons)

~~~~~

Also Reviewed This Fortnight

Billy Bragg: Between the Wars

Daddy likes this kind of thing. He says that folk music tells a story but I think that Twisted Sister tells a story in they're song but he says they aren't folk so I don't know what he means. Marshall doesn't like Billy Bragg's voice but I think it's neat. People in England talk like him but they don't usually sing like him. He says he was a minor and a dockor and a railwayman between the wars. I didn't know that people have more than one job when they grow up. Daddy is just a teacher, he doesn't have other jobs. I don't know when these wars were. Grandpa Bill was in the Second World War. He told me that Hitler heard his foot steps and that's how the war ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eternal: "Just a Step from Heaven"

13 April 1994 "We've probably lost them to America but Eternal are a jewel well worth keeping." — Mark Frith A look at the Bil...